Monday, October 11, 2010

Rhino and Technicolor DJ Stick Ideas

Hi! Last week we did demos of Arduinos and Rhino. It was fun! We made things blink and made things 3D! Yay! Here are my pictures of what we made in class. A ring and a nut! Yay!




I am very intrigued by Rhino and find that I may actually be able to realized a lot of my own ideas I have outside of class through it. May it be for 3D Printing or Laser-cutting. I find that as a Graphic Designer I am still pulled toward the arts of analog and those of more fine art in nature. May it be painting, drawing or the like, I am still very much drawn to them. I used to be a fine arts major at my old school, and really do just miss it. So now with these tools at my disposal I think I would love to utilize them, as soon as possible. I have this dream to do graphic design as a career, for others (clients). But then do graphic design and fine arts melded together as a fine art for myself. To exhibit and such. In some ideal world maybe graphic design can be viewed as an art form. It is art. But... with a different purpose I guess. I think that design really can be, once it gets to high enough point, considered art. Well, the Museum of Modern Art agrees with me, so how can it be really argued that much? Not only are art objects installed there, but industrial design and graphic posters, etc. So. I guess it has already happened, but I want it in a much more ubiquitous way.

Okay. Technicolor DJ Stick. My group has met several times and, as you can read on Cait's blog, have come to a point where we think we know what we want to do. Build a stick that is similar, if not almost identical, to the posts with the ribbon that create the lines in the food lounges in the SUB. While creating compartments to hold our guts down below and allowing students to interact with it as it makes sounds and lights up. Hopefully this will make some people happy as they wait in long lines for their coffee or sushi. Maybe it'll wake someone up? Have a smile cross their face? In general just be happier throughout the day. Of course this is not really trackable after they interact with it. But. We'd like to think one bright spot in a shit day can really pick you up. I know that's usually how it is for me. It helps to have it at the beginning, and at the end. So. Maybe they can keep visiting to interact with it. I will be asking the facilities manager if I can borrow one of the posts for an afternoon so we can measure it up and scan it maybe. Get all the dimensions proper, then build our replica. muha... MUHA... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH *evil laugh* MUHA!!!!!HAHAH!JAHAJAHAJAH *speed racer laugh*JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAAJAJAHAHAJAHA!

That's it for now!
~TIM

No comments:

Post a Comment